When I found out you could cook with Young Living Essentials Oils I knew exactly what my first recipe would be – Doughnuts. The perfect food with coffee and a food guaranteed to disappear in work breakrooms everywhere faster than people at 5:00 PM on a Friday. They are just plain delicious.
My husband has been gluten free for several years now, and is always looking for recipes that will mimic the taste and texture of the gluten filled equivalents. This recipe comes pretty damn close. And the oils leave a layer of flavor that enhances the blueberry glaze on top. Try it and let me know what you think.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup lukewarm buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups gluten free flour (I used Natural Gluten Free Café All Purpose Baking Mix)
- 1 egg
- 4 drops of essential lemon oil
- 4 drops of essential lavender oil
- ¾ cup of lukewarm milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl.
- Add milk (1/2 cup milk and ¼ cup buttermilk), sugar, salt, eggs, butter and flour.
- Beat until mixed.
- Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup of milk and briefly mix the dough. It should now be the consistency of cake mix. Adjust milk as needed.
- Bake in doughnut pan at 425F for 7-10 minutes.
WILD BLUEBERRY GLAZE:
Blend ½ cup of powder sugar, 3 tablespoons of wild blueberries, ½ teaspoon of vanilla, and 1-2 teaspoons of milk in a blender. Dip cooled doughnuts in glaze and place on a plate to set.
And then eat. Maybe have two. Enjoy.