My husband and I got married in St. Lucia. We loved it. I was swimming in the pool two hours before our wedding. Stress-Free. It was relaxing and the island itself just beautiful. One day we hope to go back. If you ever get the chance to go – do it. It is nicknamed the Hawaiian of the Caribbean and a big destination for many celebrities. I also believe one of the Superman movies was filmed by the Piton Mountains on the island.
After the wedding they gave us two, yes TWO wedding cakes for out reception. One of them was a hummingbird cake. Their version was a little dry, more like a spice cake. But to this day that flavor reminds us of our wedding and our wonderful week there.
So over the weekend Brian wanted to attempt a Gluten Free Hummingbird Bread. This is the result. We wanted it moist since gluten free tends to be so dry, so we added extra buttermilk and even a little of the pineapple juice. It worked. We also added coconut flakes which I think adds a nice layer of flavor.
Try it and let me know what you think.
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 8 oz crushed pineapple (drained)
- ¼ cup of sweetened coconut
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of gluten free baking mix (We Used Bisquick Gluten Free)
- 3 small bananas
- ¼ cup sweetened coconut toasted (350F for 3-5 min) and cooled
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- ¾ – 1 cup of powdered sugar (adjust to your sweetness level)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Set Oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9” X 5” loaf pan.
- Place coconut oil, brown sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in a mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes. Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and gluten free flour. Beat on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated. Add bananas, coconut, and pineapple and mix on low until well dispersed.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until lightly browned and toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before icing (if desired).
- To make icing, beat cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar together until smooth (3-5 minutes). Spread icing on top of loaf and top with toasted coconut. Enjoy.