I know that vinegar makes a wonderful fabric softener, so I began to think about how I could make a scented homemade laundry rinse. I decided to use fresh mint leaves, and I’m pleased to report that I’ve been using my mint-scented vinegar in my laundry ever since!
I love that I can have soft clothes using an all-natural product, rather than a commercial fabric softener. Here’s how you can make your own!
Scented Vinegar Laundry Rinse
- 1 gallon white vinegar
- A big handful of fresh mint leaves
- A large bottle or container with a lid
- Place the mint leaves inside the your container, and pour the vinegar over the top.
- Place the lid on the container, and let it the mint leaves “steep” for 24 hours.
- Next, pull the mint leaves out of the vinegar, or use a sieve to strain them out.
- Then pour your fragrant mint-scented vinegar into the storage container of your choice.
Using Your Laundry Rinse
Add 1/4 cup of your scented vinegar to your washing machine’s fabric softener dispenser. The vinegar will be dispensed during the rinse cycle, which will leave your clothes feeling soft and smelling great!
If you’re not a big fan of fresh mint, there are plenty of other fresh herbs you could use instead. I think that fresh thyme, rosemary, and basil would all be equally wonderful choices for making a scented vinegar rinse. Whatever herb you end up choosing, just make sure to use fresh, not dried!